Thursday, December 3, 2009

Well...

that's just life...

Today I spent a good 5 hours teaching second graders how to do fractions. One kid that I tutor really doesn't like me. I don't think it is because I am me, but rather the fact that when he sees me, it means that he will be staying after school for two hours doing homework instead of going home and playing! However, that little 7 year old really can hurt my feelings! Amazing, isn't it. I know he's only 7 but I almost wanted to cry today because I work so hard for those kids, I prepare and prepare things for them to do after school that will enrich their learning and yet every time this kid sees me he starts to cry! I don't understand because I am nice, encouraging... I try to find fun educational activities for them...I compliment them, I tell them what a good job they are doing... and I help them! Without me, they would be much more far behind in school than they already are. But this kid, he has told two teachers -in front of my face! - that he hates me and I'm mean. Of course those teachers are my friends and they know I'm not mean, but it's hard to teach a kid who sticks his tongue out at you when you say "good job!". I guess the rewarding part of this job comes later?

Bledi started his new job on Wednesday. Woo hoo!!!!!!! The sad part is that it involves a lot of traveling to other parts of Albania. Next week he is leaving for 3 days to go to the South, so I guess I'm going to be lonely for a few days. But, luckily, I have a few friends so I am hoping I can invite them over or go out a few nights. I already have plans with one teacher to go out for coffee... so I guess it's a good opportunity to get to know some more friends while Bledi is gone.

And... only 14 days until I come home! I can't wait. I am so ready. It's been a fun but tough few months and I need the comforts of home for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment