Monday, December 14, 2009

More Albanian Tidbits

Being the horrifically clumsy person that I am, I have had the chance to experience a few more unique Albanians "tidbits" that I never knew of before I moved here.

Two weeks ago, I was putting clothes away in my dresser drawer when I knocked into it and boom! it fell straight on my foot. OUCH. Immediately, Bledi instructed me to sit down and prop up my foot. Then, he proceeded to cut up an entire onion, wrap it in newspaper and wrap that around my foot followed by a plastic bag (to keep the onion in place). He told me that this is to prevent the bruise from getting black and blue. Wouldn't you know, I did have a painful bruise on my foot but it was only slightly discolored, so I guess you could say that this tactic worked.

Of course, today I was making Turkish coffee because we had some visitors. For all of you Americans, Turkish coffee is made in a tiny little pot placed on the stove burner. When I went to clean up, I touched my hand to the side of the stove and oops burned my hand. Again, ouch! So Bledi's mom, in addition to putting ice on it, put a slice of tomato skin. It actually really worked to keep the burn down.

Just a few things I bet you never knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment